Monday, November 6

Tallinn


IMG_0971
Originally uploaded by gregtaleck.
And so Tallinn became my entrypoint to Russia. I had planned on taking another ferry to Helsinki, Finland, but time was running short: My letter of invitation to Russia was for November 10th, and it was already the 5th.

Getting a Russian visa there proved to be straightforward as well. They have next-day service for 110USD, and my invitation cost 40USD, so getting into Russia can cost quite a bit.

Anyway, Tallinn is a great little city. The heart of the old town has some great churches, a huge town hall, and plenty of great restaurants and bars. I even found a couple of microbreweries that make some tasty ales.

I stayed the Tallinn Backpackers Hostel, and pretty much everyone there was either going to or coming from Russia. And the majority that were coming from Russia were also coming from China. It was great to share stories and pictures... and also to share my pictures of South America and stamps in my passport of Antarctica. "You went to bloody Antarctica? You're crazy mate!"

I also met an Austrian kid named Rob working there who had been traveling for 18 months. He left Austria on his bicycle, went through Italy, Greece, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, to India, all in nine months on a bicycle. He sold his gear in India to another Westerner and continued backpacking by bus back through the 'Stans to Russia and found this hostel job in Tallinn.

Enough of Tallinn. I finally got my Russian visa on the 8th, and at 6AM on the 10th, caught a bus to St. Petersburg.

No comments: