Monday, November 20

Lenin and the Bolshoi


IMG_1226
Originally uploaded by gregtaleck.
The two sites in Moscow I wanted to see didn't happen. Apparently, Lenin has grown too much gooey stuff again, and he's out for cleaning until January. And the Bolshoi theater is closed for renovation until 2008. There are still Bolshoi shows going on, but I never managed to find a ticket or work out the details. Besides, it just wouldn't have been the same in a different theater, I thought.

But I moved on. The museums of modern art in Moscow have amazing collections. I was mostly impressed with the Russian Cubist and Avant-garde painters, filling their canvases with imagery of soviet icons and Russian artifacts.

By the way, this is Lenin's Mausoleum behind me, and he'd be inside if he weren't so gooey...

No comments: